Grim Horizons

There was a lot of buzzing about the upcoming launches. The Alliance 1 was launching from the Moon to Mars a week before the Wanderer 1. Alice and her husband Seth had gotten on the Alliance 1 mission with his sister Tonka and his brother Richie, which was a relief to his parents.

Alice's brother Damian and his girlfriend were on the Wanderer 1 mission which was a relief for Alice.

At the moment everyone was buzzing as more people arrived at the large moon base. The Mars mission was smaller than the Wanderer 1 mission but it also was going to get reinforcements regularly.

Alice and Seth were sitting in their room, their stuff packed away to the side as she settled her head on his chest. It was relaxing and quiet save for the occasional chatting passerby when Alice heard her tablet ding to notify her there was an urgent message. She rolled her eyes. "I'm sure it can wait a few minutes," she muttered to Seth intending to continue cuddling.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"They'd have over ridden the volume control if it were that important," Seth answered without opening his eyes, tightening his arm around her shoulders to keep her in place against him even though she clearly wasn't inclined to move. 

@Morrigan

Alice smiled. "This is literally one of the best adventures you could have taken with me," she said to him. "Space." She reached over and pet the K-9 that was laying beside their bed, Seth's personal charge.

@Dragon

Alice huffed in amusement. “Maybe if we go on a trip into another solar system we will see that.”

@Dragon

Alice smiled to him. If he kept that up he’d be having to keep her quiet. As they sat there her tablet dinged again. “Impatient fuckers aren’t they?”

As that dinged so did his tablet.

@Dragon

"Fucking apparently," Seth scowled towards the tablets. He hated it when someone was so impatient to ring his wife that they went through him. 

Since he was closest, he reached to grab Alice's and handed it to her, "Here. See what the assholes want so I can get back to seducing you." 

@Morrigan

Alice huffed and unlocked her tablet. She looked at the message that simply said, "Call GSA immediately."

"Fuck," she muttered. "They want me to call the GSA which is odd. I don't know why they didn't just tell me what they need me to fix," she sighed as she sat up and rubbed her face, she stroked her feet against the dog on the floor before she hit the call button. She was immediately routed to a room full of people which made her frown. "Uh.... hi," she said to them looking thoroughly confused as she glanced over her shoulder toward Seth before she returned to looking at the screen.

"Hello Miss Gregory."

"Its Mrs Redford," she said.

"Sorry, Mrs Redford."

"What's the emergency? I haven't heard any alarms and no one has come to get me."

"Well this isn't that sort of an emergency," the head of the Wanderer 1 expedition spoke up. "We are changing which mission you're on."

Alice huffed in amusement. "No you're fucking not."

The head looked to the leader of the Alliance 1 mission before looking back to the screen. "Yes we are. You and Mr Redford will be joining the Wanderer 1 team. We need you on that expedition as we lost two engineers, including our lead engineer, to a virus that we has Mr Redford's sister grounded as well. You'll be taking over as lead engineer of that mission."

"Don't I get a fucking say in this or some shit? I didn't apply to be on the Wanderer 1. I intend to start a family when I get back from Mars," she protested.

"I'm sorry but in this instance it is the Wanderer 1 or you come home," the man said. It felt more like a threat that Alice was ready to fight against.

@Dragon

Seth released Alice as she moved to the edge of the bed. He rolled over to his side, stomach against her back, and reached to run his thumb against the dog's ears while listening. Initially he wasn't paying that much attention. He assumed it was some mechanical issue they needed her help with. 

It was only when it became apparent that this was something much different that Seth sat up and reached for his own tablet. He found an invite link to the same video conference Alice was in. 

"What the hell do you mean Wanderer 1?" he asked heatedly as soon as he was connected, "We're not even remotely prepped for that mission." 

He wasn't just speaking training, either. He was also addressing his and Alice's assets and investments. All of their recent financial decisions had revolved around the Mars mission. They had been expecting to come home, and had done everything they could to have a nest egg waiting. If they had applied for Wanderer 1, their decisions would have been far different. 

More importantly, they'd last spoken to their families expecting to be home some day. 

@Morrigan

"We need the experience your wife has on the Wanderer 1. We don't have any other engineers that we're prepared to send out last minute as they haven't had the appropriate training or skills. It was between Mrs Gregory... I'm sorry Redford, and the other engineers going out and she is the one everyone suggested. Only outer family members here, she has you which will also be transferring missions with her. The rest have people here on Earth, unmarried and frankly a liability because of it."

@Dragon

Seth's jaw worked for several moments before he clenched his teeth and looked over to his wife. He wanted to argue and fight it - but the ultimatum made that hard. They'd both worked their asses off to get into the program. They'd never really recover if they were permanently grounded. 

@Morrigan

Alice huffed closing her eyes. "You do realize how fucked this is right?" she asked them as she reopened her eyes.

"We understand its an inconvenience."

"No. Not an inconvenience. This is. Fucked. Up. If you're doing this then I'm sending my parents a list of things I expect on the next launch to Moon Base. Fuck you guys and your weight limits. I'm getting whatever the hell I want," she said hanging up the call.

@Dragon

Seth ended his own connection at the same time. He tossed the tablet onto the table, looking over to his wife, "What the fuck," was all he could say. This changed everything for them - their future was now up in smoke, and in the wind. 

"We're never going home," he said after a moment, still trying to adjust to that reality. 

@Morrigan

"I mean... We can leave right now," she reminded him. "Just means we have to live in the guest house at your parents ranch for the rest of our lives."

@Dragon

Alice huffed trying to feel amused but she was miserable in that moment. "I think if I knew we were getting the family we wanted that I'd be happier than you think. I was just... I wanted a space adventure."

@Dragon

"I'm sure my mom will be thrilled that two of her children are leaving the solar system," she said taking in a breath and releasing it in a whoosh through her nose in frustration.

@Dragon

"Yeah," she said shortly closing her eyes. "I..." she took in a breath and puffed out her cheeks to blow it out. "I think I should go to the gym to get a run in," she said.

@Dragon

Alice nodded to him as she stood up once she pulled her shoes on and left the room. She was angry and not even sure she wanted to be in space anymore. She had made it to the moon, what else did she need to accomplish?

@Dragon